No, but seriously.... One big obstacle for people, myself included, can be getting in the exercise when they don't have access to a gym, have only a very small space, or like me - just don't feel like walking to the gym (how ironic, eh? i'll kick my ass in my apt, but won't do the 10 min walk to the gym). NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!
Suck it up princess.
That's just no reason to not get a workout in. This is going to be a hopefully massive list of ideas, link, pics, information and challenges that help me help yourself PUMP YOU UPPPPPPP. So here it goes! So much more interesting and challenging options than running around the block a few times. I'm not really going to go into the "why's" of each recommendation (that would be even bigger!) but you can probably find your answers in many of the links here.
So one of the easiest things to do are circuits, and circuits that don't necessarily need a lot of space. And trust me, they will kick your ass! You might need minimal equipment for some of the things I list here, but you can always mix and match these ideas to make it work for you. Typically, you're going to pick a few exercises (at least one you hate- if you hate it, you probably need to do it) and rotate through them for one, two, three or more rounds. Usually you can start with something like 30 sec on (aka as hard as you can) followed by 30 sec rest, and work your way up to something like 45 on/15 off and eventually just 60/0. Be careful when you add things like box jumps to your circuit, or you might end up like me!
- Rachel Cosgrove's Get Off the Treadmill - I can vouch that this melts the fat off ya
- Rachel Cosgrove's Get More Metabolic
- Women's Health 7 Minute Workout - a quickie but goodie
- Jen Heath's Metabolic Blasters
- A Cosgrove/Waterbury's Real Fast Fat Loss - if you're sadistic
- Berardi/Prohaska's Indecent Intervals for some motivation
- Ian King's Death by Bodyweight
- Ballantyne's 7 Min Circuit c/o Skwigg
If you've never done this, well, you're a lucky SOB. Tabata is some of the most brutal shit on the planet... if you're doing it right. Basically, it's supposed to be the ideal circuit timing for fat loss, in both overall and interval duration, assuming you're pushing yourself. It's got to do with technical mumbo-jumbo like VO2 max etc (if you wanna read more, look here for some preliminary explaination). If you really want to maximize your time and have the balls to REALLY push yourself, then this is your spot:
- Dan John's explaination of Tabata
- Nick Tuminello's 6 New Tabata Ideas
- Stumptuous' Explaination of Fartlek (not quite tabata but I liked it here)
Now there of course are definitely some good options that include minimal or moderate amounts of equipment. So depending on how much you want to stock up on, where you're going and what you like, there are tons of options! One basic but KILLER option that most people forget is just the good old jump rope. Try jumping rope for 10 minutes. Just try. (or even better, throw in some intervals or circuits with burpees or pushups.... you get the idea).
starter from bodybuilding.com. Just remember, make sure you're really using the appropriate resistance! They're not a bad workout tool - just people have a tendency to go too light. Or you could try something like this workout on your lunch break at the park (not the exact workout I was thinking of, but you get the idea - walk, then do an exercise, then walk, repeat) or this workout from Women's Health at your local playground.
Now if you're at home and want to get a little more fun/intense, then here are some other GREAT ideas for you. The equipment here starts to get a little more intimidating I supposed. Things like kettlebells, sandbags, cars - whatever you have lying around really.
- Steven Morris's Triple Threats - LOVE the sandbag stuff
- Stumptuous' No Weights? No Problem! - you know I'll totally do car pulls when I have a driveway
- Nate Green's Kettlebells 101
- Weller's Third World Workouts for inspiration
- Waterbury's Rope Revolution
- Even-Esh's Old School Training
- Women's Health Create Your Own Workout
- From Mr. Berardi's experiements The Infamous TRX Workout
- From T-nation Chris Bathke's Timed Circuits
- Rachel kicking ass on vacation Vacation Workout
- Beyond that.... just google baby. loads of ideas out there.