Monday, July 30, 2012

Boring to.... yummy?

So I think just about everyone at some point has seen a cheap (or not so cheap) paper lantern style light fixture, right? And if you're like me, you're less than thrilled about how commonplace they are nowadays. The cool ones are uber expensive and hard to find. Meanwhile, mine focuses more as a dead bug catcher than anything else. And it's got a huge rip in one sides.

Luckily, I saw a great and simple idea to revamp ye olde paper lantern for about $5. Cupcake wrappers! Yup, cupcake wrappers. Here what I used:
  • About ~200 large cupcake wrappers
  • About ~200 mini cupcake wrappers
  • Hot glue.
 That's it! Here's an intermediary shot:


Nothing really to it. Just glued on lots of big ones first (easier with a partner to do the hot gluing and break the hot glue threads!) and then I glued the smaller ones inside each of them. I didn't squish them too much.
 
I wasn't too sure at this point. It didn't look as flowy as I wanted and I didn't know how much of an effect the smaller ones would have, but I kept on! Well, me and my helper.   

And for the final product....


Tadaa! A simple, chic, cheap, quick project with a big effect. Any cool simple projects you want to do? Let me know (so I can steal them!!)

1 comment: