Sunday, December 20, 2009

Territoriality. He was Mine First.

No, not Clerks. DEGRASSI!!!! Seriously people, when did Degrassi become the cool place to be??




I remember first being introduced to this Canadian wonder in 7th grade guidance class in our music room. This of course was the original version of the show.  It wasn't until several years later that I was introduced to joys of The Next Generation (and not the Star Tek variation). Since then, I've seen this beast grow out of control.  Example A: Aubrey Graham.  How do you go from being shot and paralyzed by crazy Rick after Spinner blamed you for tar and feathering Rick to on stage rapping with Lil Wayne?!?!


Seroiusly, WTF???

I remember the early days of Drake when he was in love with Ashley and I had to stay up to random hours to find re-runs on Noggin, or better yet, marathons. And then...sigh...the college years. WPI doesn't exactly pay for their students to have access to the-N. I missed JT get Liberty pregnant, her give the baby up for adoption, him start dating Nina Dobrev and the triangle of bitchiness that proceeded when JT tried to get daycare at school for his new lady. Little did he know that she would soon be on the WB trying to ride this vampire wave - quite successfully (and kinda creepily below......)


Uhhhhh..... Teenage mom to teenage vampire lover?

And how can I leave out possibly the most dramatic transformation of them all? She started as sweet little Darcy, the Jesus lovin, virginity saving, Friendship Club attending Cheerleader who tamed the Spinmeister. Maybe it's the decay of moral values and eventual coming back to Jesus after being raped (sorry, but Paige's post-rape performance of Poor Thing was much more moving)  that set her up for her next role... on the remake of 90210?!?!?


Sooo not in Canada anymore, Eh?

How did Degrassi become such a start-up role for people? I don't get it! Dorkiest show ever. A true after school special and appearently the new Mickey Mouse Club. Here I thought I was going to have to wait for New Years marathons and bootleg episodes online to get my Degrassi drama. Slowly but surely we invaded the local channel MyTV, MTV's 10am slot, a primetime Degrassi Goes Hollywood Movie premiere and we're going strong!

My guess for the next step....Manny Santos comes out as one of the many mistresses of Tiger Woods.




Oh the embarassing guilty pleasures I have :)

5 comments:

  1. I heart degrassi. I watched it as a kid (you watched it in school?!) and now i am obsessed with the new ones.

    You know Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes were on it too right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I know that they were on it? OF COURSE!!!!! You did see the full length movie too right, where they come back and Manny steals Paige's part?

    Amazing. But I'm still not sure I'm ok with MTV trying to steal Degrassi from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I didn't know about degrassi til high school. I watched a few episodes with some neighborhood kids and we laughed about it.

    That's cool how you embrace your nerd/oddball things ... in that vein I'll admit I really like Star Wars books.

    Kate - you haven't written me back an email. For shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm emailing you right now!! Literally!!!! Damn me and my novel emails.

    And really, star wars books - I don't think I know a guy that doesn't really love star wars deep down somewhere. Anyways, do you not remember my crazy X-files wall in my room? probably not at all actually hahaha. Good thing I brought up more of my embarassingness. Luckily, I have amazing photographic evidence (of that and more highschool wonders) about to be released....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha yeah I saw that picture on facebook. I didn't remember that from high school, but I remember you talking about x-files ... I like that show but it scares the crap out of me real easily.

    ReplyDelete