Monday, December 20, 2010

Reading Rainbow!

Not complaining really, but I've had a lot of free time on my hands lately. I'm definitely one of those people who the busier they are, the more they get done. And when I have free time, I tend to just sit on my ass on the couch for hours and hours. Normally I fill this time with going to the gym, but I've been so sick the last few weeks so I haven't been able to go. I'm starting my crafting adventures (more to come) but I'm also finally reading. 

I've said this before, but my favorite books to read usually are young adult books. I'm OK at English, but not a natural at all. If a theme/motif is obvious, then I can get it - or if it was pointed out to me (like it was in highschool), then I totally follow. But if I'm just reading on my own it's usually pretty hard. So I stick to the YA section. Easy reading and I can usually follow OK.  So here's what I thought of my most recent reads!

The Alchemist - I've heard so many amazing reviews about this book being utterly amazing and life changing. Honestly, I hated it. I felt like it was something that they would have given to us in a 5th grade religion class. I couldn't get into the story. I wasn't invested in the characters. I thought it was cheesy and awful. I knew maybe 1/4 of the way in that I wasn't going to like it. It was an easy read and I just plowed through it just to finish it. I've heard from others that they also hated this book of his but really liked others, so I'm maybe willing to keep an open mind. It did make me feel pretty twisted hating that and loving.... GRADE: D-

A Clockwork Orange - I thought this was utterly fantastic. It took me a chapter or two (ok maybe 3) until I really got used to the slang, but after I did I was hooked. It's definitely debatable if this is really a YA book or not. Way too detailed and intense in many sections. For once, I totally understood the main plots and I really enjoyed/related to them. This idea of brainwashing and if you can truly be a man if you can't make your own choices. It was classic. I then finally watched the movie for the first time afterward. I'm so glad I waited. I wouldn't have really understood it or appreciated it as much, but it worked perfectly in protraying the themese and characters. Of course, the book was better, especially because of the omission of the last chapter. But the overall feel of both really appealed to me. Maybe that should be worrisome...  GRADE: A+

Alex and the boys... drinking their milk.

That was Then, This is Now - Another book by the author of my favorite book, The Outsiders, - S.E. Hinton. I did not let me down by any means. I have to admit, I was confused at first. I kept reading about Curtis's and thinking that I was somehow related to Of Mice and Men. Pretty funny. But the timing of the book was perfect for me life - just generally looking at your past and seeing how dumb some of it was. Coming of age. Growing up. Making those choices. And of course some tearjerker scenes in there, as was to be expected.  Makes me super excited to reread The Outsiders. I do love her books. GRADE: A-

I am the Cheese - This was just a good simple simple read. I think it's even more middle school than anything. Interesting because it was taking place in New England, so I could picture it well. I understood what was going on throughout all the different narrator/style changes, but it made me wonder how this would have been taught in school and to what grade. GRADE: B+

The Neverending Story - Now I figured this was going to be good, but not nearly as good as it was. Highly recommended to anyone needing some feel good. I loved the style, flipping between the two worlds and using the two different color inks to enhance this effect. It just sucked me in immediately and made me so attached to Bastian. I was definitely invested. It was interested to watch the movie afterward and see how different it truly was. Looks like the movie is only the first part of the book really. I need to re-watch the second movie and see how that fits in.  Anyway, it was great. I was so engrossed and I felt so wonderful the whole time even thought I knew how it was going to end. Great read. Would definitely recommend to anyone in need of a feel good.  GRADE: A

4 comments:

  1. Nice post - I'll have to check out the never ending story (didn't actually know that was a book), and the one by Outsiders author.

    Doesn't clockwork orange have a crazy scene with eyes?? I'm very scared about eye-stuff so I've avoided it like the plague because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, the neverending story was so freaking good. you'll just be smiling like an idiot. and no, no crazy eye scene (unless you count them being pinned open while alex is forced to watch videos as crazy). he just wears that funny eye piece as fashion sometimes. and for any of that i would say the movie is creepier anyways. i dunno.... i loved it. his other books are def on my to-do now. hoping i have a soul still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, you're a quick reader!

    I would somewhat have to agree with the Alchemist - it's very much based on the idea that God has a plan for you and you must let your faith guide you - but if you are more of the person who believes in transcendentalism or existentialism, it probably won't be all that helpful.

    I haven't read the Neverending Story, but I think I'll pick it up!

    I think you would really like this book I'm reading now. Phil H gave it to me. It's called "Sailor Song" and it's by the same author as "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it really wasn't that fast. And Rebecca is taking me ages in comparison. Adding One Flew Over to my list and I'll see about that other. I just added a whole reading rainbow page too so I can keep track.

    ReplyDelete