Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tat-two

Get the pun, huh? huh? Oh I'm so clever aren't I? But yeah, I'm thinking it's about time for tat numero dos. I know what I want to incorporate into it, I'm just not exactly positive on the design yet. So I'm counting on feedback people!!!! This one is highly personal and I can't exactly go into the reasons why for all the parts, but that's fine. It's going to be going on my lower back off to the far left. First, please tell me that doesn't say tramp stamp at all....

So Part 1 of the imagery: the words. It's either going to be "Stay Gold" or "Nothing Gold Can Stay". I'm leaning towards the first. For those of you who don't know where that comes from, the latter is a line from a poem by Robert Frost that was used in one of my favorite books, The Outsiders. The first is really "Stay gold, Ponyboy" but many people shorten it. To vaguely explain, this is really to represent my recent changing view of the world and how awful of a place I've realized it can be. Not that I think that everything is awful, but that I've just become more realistic with how much suckery there is out there. My golden, naive view of the world has been shattered and there's no getting it back.

The Boys of The Outsiders.

The next part of the tat that I really want to incorporate is some reference to the band Nada Surf. Now there are two options that I can see for this.  One would be to do some tattoo like the one below and instead of using the stars that are there, use the stars/moons from this design. I don't know if that's obvious enough though and I think I feel too much like I'm stealing someone's tattoo.

One option...

The other option would be to steal the idea of the album artwork from The Proximity Effect and use that instead. I would replace the album title with "Stay Gold" and take out the band name. Instead of the yellow and blue balls I think I would want leaves tousling in the wind, twisting and turning, but in the same pattern. I would want them to be two different colors, but I'm not sure what would look best on skin color and still fit the idea of the poem. Something golden and maybe something red? I also might stretch the image out a little bit so it's not so scrunched.  This is the idea I'm leaning towards the most right now. Also, if there was somewhere I could put a little robot in there, that would be AMAZING, but I can't think of anywhere. Maybe just hide him in the pattern instead of one of the leaves?

Option 2 - which I'm leaning towards.

Ok dudes,  so that's a what I'm thinking. I NEED FEEDBACK!!!! I'm terrible at making these decisions on my own. These are the concepts that I want in there - "Stay Gold" and a reference to Nada Surf. If you have any other brilliant ideas, please throw those out there too! Hoping to do it soon!

3 comments:

  1. I was not on the computer yesterday but just wanted to say that I hope you had a great time last night and are drinking lots of water today!

    I didn't want to text you now in case you were sleeping, but you are in my thoughts.

    Lots of love from the middle of the country :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the stay gold thing ... I think it's a nice message. Though you're awesome, so hopefully you'll be the gold part in situations that are otherwise less than golden.

    With that said ... I have no idea what would look good. So I'm useless.

    Ooh how about some ripples around it eh? You know - the unintended good side effects of pony boy and the karate kid saving those kids. You create the good ripples by staying gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry B-rad... i think i'm going for "Nothing Gold Can Stay" instead. So much more of a downer. Though I can still pretend i'm the gold, right? I guess that's an even more realistic view. Nothing gold can stay but it doesn't mean you can't try to be the gold.

    ReplyDelete