Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Practice Thanksgiving

So a few friends and I have what we call Practice Thanksgiving every year. It started when a friend was hosting turkey day for her fam and wanted to practice making a turkey. So we decided why not turn it into a fun potluck? This year was our third annual celebration. It's a really fun time to get together with friends and just enjoy an awesome meal.


The Ingredients


So this year I decided to go for some non-traditional turkey day options that I had been waiting to try. The first was a quinoa broccoli fritatta from Oxygen Magazine and the second was a roasted chickpea recipe from Clean Eating Magazine. Both turned out surprisingly well! Here's the fritatta:


The Fritatta

I had been aching to make this for a while and this was a perfect opportunity. It was also my first fritatta! So both exciting. I burned the bottom a little (probably when it was on the stove, not in the broiler) but overall success! It was OK at dinner cause it was a little cold, but was amazing when I reheated it. So good! I can definitely see adding more veggies and egg and having it as a regular breakfast. And it was really easy to make!

Next, were the roasted chickpeas. Again, super easy to make, pretty cheap, nutritious and they turned out quite well! I can definitely see making them as a regular snack food. Here they are:



And the final results of Practice Thanksgiving? An awesome, colorful plate of food! And it was a pretty successful meal for me as well. I was able to savor my meal, not totally stuff myself and enjoy dessert in much more moderation than I'm used to! Now if I can just conquer the crescent rolls in two weeks at home!

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering where the crescent rolls were . .

    Opting for a much better frittata though!

    By the way, you prompted me to go get a clean eating magazine. Tasty turkey tetrazzini recipe that I'm going to use the left over turkey!

    ReplyDelete